The program is designed to increase transparency and enhance understanding between the community and the police. It’s an outreach effort with a 30 hour commitment. Lots of details here: Citizen’s Police Academy
I’m putting in an application. It would be nice to see a friendly face there on Thursday nights if I’m accepted.
—- March 29, 2017 Update —-
I received a letter stating they received an overwhelming response and all the seats are filled for the first session. I sent my application just before the deadline. It’s still on file and I’m hoping to get in a future session. The letter included a brochure with an overview of the course topics. I don’t want to scan in a copy of the brochure without permission but I will list the topics included:
- Week 1: Orientation / Department Overview and Structure, Policy Distribution, Volunteer Program, Recruiting, Selection and training of Officers.
- Week 2: Communications
- Week 3: Overview of Legal System
- Week 4: Specialized Units
- Week 5: Patrol and Investigative Techniques
- Week 6: Specialized Units (in addition to week 4)
- Week 7: Practical Exercises
- Week 8: Ride Alongs
- Week 9: Forensics/Crime Scene Processing
- Week 10: Graduation
It looks like a variety of interesting and useful information for citizens and for anyone considering a career in law enforcement.